Gothic Romance Forum, a Community for Gothic Romance Fiction and Literature Lovers
Dorothy Daniels - Printable Version

+- Gothic Romance Forum, a Community for Gothic Romance Fiction and Literature Lovers (https://www.gothicromanceforum.com)
+-- Forum: Authors (https://www.gothicromanceforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: American Gothic Authors (https://www.gothicromanceforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: Dorothy Daniels (/showthread.php?tid=493)

Pages: 1 2

Dorothy Daniels - coramunroe - 07-29-2009

OK - did everyone, except me, know that Dorothy Daniels was a male author penning many books under different pseudonyms?

RE: Dorothy Daniels - gothicromancereader - 07-29-2009

(07-29-2009, 03:52 PM)coramunroe Wrote: OK - did everyone, except me, know that Dorothy Daniels was a male author penning many books under different pseudonyms?

No, I did not know that. Very interesting. He/she was quite prolific. I used to read tons of DD books back in the late 70s/early 80s.

I think Elissa Grandower/Hillary Waugh and Jean Francis Webb were also males.

RE: Dorothy Daniels - DeborahOToole - 01-12-2010

I think I read every Dorothy Daniels book published in the 1970's and 1980's. Once in awhile I still go back and re-read some of the them. One of my favorites is "The Tormented." Every few months or so I still visit my local paperback exchange looking for titles I don't have in my collection. Love the books!

RE: Dorothy Daniels - lcapower - 07-14-2010

Acutally, Dorothy Daniels IS a female and writes under a number of pseudonym names including...Angela Gray, Danielle Dorsett, CynthiaKavanaugh, Helaine Ross, Suzanne Somers, and Geraldine Thayer. She was married to Norman Daniels who was also a writer. He wrote first and Dorothy assisted by editing and typing his manuscripts. She started writing later with short stories. When Norman's sales started to decline, Dorothy was encouraged to write more Gothic mysteries and was a smash hit. Her husband then helped her by editing her work and was sometimes erroneously credited with writing her books.

RE: Dorothy Daniels - MarionLongfellow - 08-14-2010

(07-29-2009, 03:52 PM)coramunroe Wrote: OK - did everyone, except me, know that Dorothy Daniels was a male author penning many books under different pseudonyms?

Dorothy Daniels was female.

(01-12-2010, 01:23 PM)DeborahOToole Wrote: I think I read every Dorothy Daniels book published in the 1970's and 1980's. Once in awhile I still go back and re-read some of the them. One of my favorites is "The Tormented." Every few months or so I still visit my local paperback exchange looking for titles I don't have in my collection. Love the books!

HI, I have a nearly complete collection of all Dorothy Daniels books, including her pseudonyms, and they are all signed. I would like to sell them. Please contact me if you are interested.

RE: Dorothy Daniels - lcapower - 08-16-2010

(08-14-2010, 07:38 PM)MarionLongfellow Wrote:

Dorothy Daniels was female.

(01-12-2010, 01:23 PM)DeborahOToole Wrote: I think I read every Dorothy Daniels book published in the 1970's and 1980's. Once in awhile I still go back and re-read some of the them. One of my favorites is "The Tormented." Every few months or so I still visit my local paperback exchange looking for titles I don't have in my collection. Love the books!

HI, I have a nearly complete collection of all Dorothy Daniels books, including her pseudonyms, and they are all signed. I would like to sell them. Please contact me if you are interested.

RE: Dorothy Daniels - mountainlass - 10-01-2010

Dorothy Daniels brings back wonderful memories of spending summers in the Blue Ridge with my Grandparents and reading her novels laying under the trees. At one time I had a great collection of her books, but divorce and moving lost them in the shuffle.

I would be interested in buying another collection (especially signed!) if they are still available.

RE: Dorothy Daniels - Penfeather - 10-04-2010

Never read her except partway through The Leland Legacy. It wasn't bad, I just wasn't in the mood for it I guess. I'll try again.

Any recommendations for her best work?

RE: Dorothy Daniels - MysteryMind - 10-05-2010

(10-04-2010, 04:16 PM)Penfeather Wrote: Never read her except partway through The Leland Legacy. It wasn't bad, I just wasn't in the mood for it I guess. I'll try again.

Any recommendations for her best work?

Based on what you wrote about Marilyn Ross on other posts, Penfeather, I fear you may be in for some disappointments. I know there are Dorothy Daniels fans on this forum and for their sakes, I'll give her another try. But I wouldn't recommend "The Unguarded". I know the romance side is not the most important aspect, but talk about underdeveloped! (intentional exclamation)

RE: Dorothy Daniels - Fiddlette - 07-28-2011

I just bought a lot of gothic books and among them is Dorothy Daniel's Lady of the Shadows...has anyone ever read this one?

I'm asking so that I may find out if the "ghost" mentioned in the synopsis is a real ghost at the end, or not, as the case may be and usually is with so many gothics...

I am giving several of these to my mom as gifts and she wouldn't want to read it if it was a book about a real ghost.

thanks in advance!