Gothic Romance Forum, a Community for Gothic Romance Fiction and Literature Lovers
What is everyone reading? - Printable Version

+- Gothic Romance Forum, a Community for Gothic Romance Fiction and Literature Lovers (https://www.gothicromanceforum.com)
+-- Forum: Gothic Romances (https://www.gothicromanceforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: General Gothic Romance Discussion (https://www.gothicromanceforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: What is everyone reading? (/showthread.php?tid=472)

Pages: 1 2

What is everyone reading? - coramunroe - 07-01-2009

Is anyone reading any good gothics these days? I have to admit, I've taken a little break after reading those 2 I reviewed a little while back.

If you count this one, I just finished listening to Angelique's Descent on audio. Awesome!

I'm hoping to pick up another gothic soon after I finished the 2 books I'm reading now.

RE: What is everyone reading? - paigenumber - 07-02-2009

I love reading Gothics but they are hard to come by. At the moment I don't have the money to buy all the ones I'd like on eBay. I'm trying to make a study of them, especially ones from the 50s-70s, even the trash. The reason for this is that I've heard all the bad press and I'd like to experience the trash before I can give my judgment. I have come across some really bad ones in the past, but they were written after the said period of mass production and poor plotting. I recently came across some older mysteries from the same period and there are some Gothic elements to them. I'm heading over to write some reviews.

RE: What is everyone reading? - gothicromancereader - 07-03-2009

(07-01-2009, 03:11 PM)coramunroe Wrote: Is anyone reading any good gothics these days? I have to admit, I've taken a little break after reading those 2 I reviewed a little while back.

If you count this one, I just finished listening to Angelique's Descent on audio. Awesome!

I'm hoping to pick up another gothic soon after I finished the 2 books I'm reading now.

I am going to start reading Isabel Stewart Way's "The House on Sky High Road". This is a Belmont Gothic that has a copyright of 1970 (I can smell the cigarette smoke now Smile).

Tonight looks to be a dark and stormy night so it's quite a good atmosphere to relax and read a nice Gothic romance!

RE: What is everyone reading? - coramunroe - 07-29-2009

Dark and stormy nights are the best time to read these books!

RE: What is everyone reading? - redredred - 07-29-2009

reading "provenance house" by elizabeth st clair
so far so good
reading "provenance house" by elizabeth st clair
so far so good

RE: What is everyone reading? - Prism - 12-11-2009

[quote='coramunroe' pid='1520' dateline='1246475500']

As in Dark Shadows' Angelique?!

I haven't read it; I didn't care for the character--no, i HATED her character, to be honest. LOL Admittedly, it's been 10 years or more since I've seen DS, but still... I do still enjoy good fan fiction, when I think of looking for it. I'm a julia fan, btw.

On topic now, I'm reading Clara Reeve, by Leonie Hargrave. So far, it is excellent! It's very much like reading a true Victorian novel. I can tell already that this will be a keeper.

RE: What is everyone reading? - Penfeather - 12-20-2009

At present I'm midway through The Dark Tower by Josephine Edgar. So far it's an interesting story, well written (and very reminiscent of V. Holt) but at this point I have not encountered, with any certainty, the eponymous edifice. There have been several houses so far, and I suppose the latest one must be the dark tower, although it's a hunting lodge in Italy (during the summer -- bah).

As is so often the case with books marketed as "gothic suspense", I find myself caught up in a yarn which, if engrossing, has very little "gothic" about it. It is only mildly suspenseful, and if not for the author's excellent skill with character I would have put it down by now. If it turns out better by the end, I'll post a review.

Any other Josephine Edgar readers on board? Curious about your opinions.

RE: What is everyone reading? - MysteryMind - 12-20-2009

(12-20-2009, 02:35 AM)Penfeather Wrote: At present I'm midway through The Dark Tower by Josephine Edgar. So far it's an interesting story, well written (and very reminiscent of V. Holt) but at this point I have not encountered, with any certainty, the eponymous edifice. There have been several houses so far, and I suppose the latest one must be the dark tower, although it's a hunting lodge in Italy (during the summer -- bah).

As is so often the case with books marketed as "gothic suspense", I find myself caught up in a yarn which, if engrossing, has very little "gothic" about it. It is only mildly suspenseful, and if not for the author's excellent skill with character I would have put it down by now. If it turns out better by the end, I'll post a review.

Any other Josephine Edgar readers on board? Curious about your opinions.

I remember reading this book a while back, before I started writing reviews for this forum, so I can only remember the cover and a little of the plot. I remember liking it, and it reminded me of Victoria Holt and Mary Stewart. But, as you say, the gothic atmosphere was not all there.

RE: What is everyone reading? - librarylady44 - 03-09-2010

"The Silent Walls" by Mary Linn Roby and "The Laughing Ghost" by Dorothy Eden. Anne Maybury is my favorite.

RE: What is everyone reading? - Monique Devereaux - 03-09-2010

Julian's House by Judith Hawkes. Excellent haunted house thriller published in the early 90s.