Gothic Romance Forum, a Community for Gothic Romance Fiction and Literature Lovers
Contemporary Gothic heroines - any suggestions? - Printable Version

+- Gothic Romance Forum, a Community for Gothic Romance Fiction and Literature Lovers (https://www.gothicromanceforum.com)
+-- Forum: Gothic Romances (https://www.gothicromanceforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: General Gothic Romance Discussion (https://www.gothicromanceforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Contemporary Gothic heroines - any suggestions? (/showthread.php?tid=1474)

Contemporary Gothic heroines - any suggestions? - Rachel.Stockey - 04-08-2013

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently starting my research for my MA dissertation and I will be focusing on contemporary Gothic literature. More specifically gender and the concept of femininity and how contemporary Gothic authors tackle femininity within a contemporary Gothic framework. Whereas femininity in traditional Gothic was bound to ideas of innocence, weakness, defencelessness, naivity, I want to explore how literature accounts for society's clear progression towards far more nuanced ideas of gender - or simply that having a defenceless and vulnerable heroine is no longer assumed or even acceptable. Gender no longer defines strength etc.

I'm starting by looking out for recent novels which could both be described as Gothic whilst also featuring interesting/ different/ strong female characters.

If any one has any suggestions I would love to hear them! Smile

RE: Contemporary Gothic heroines - any suggestions? - The Ming - 05-06-2013

(04-08-2013, 09:46 AM)Rachel.Stockey Wrote: Hi Everyone,

I'm currently starting my research for my MA dissertation and I will be focusing on contemporary Gothic literature. More specifically gender and the concept of femininity and how contemporary Gothic authors tackle femininity within a contemporary Gothic framework. Whereas femininity in traditional Gothic was bound to ideas of innocence, weakness, defencelessness, naivity, I want to explore how literature accounts for society's clear progression towards far more nuanced ideas of gender - or simply that having a defenceless and vulnerable heroine is no longer assumed or even acceptable. Gender no longer defines strength etc.

I'm starting by looking out for recent novels which could both be described as Gothic whilst also featuring interesting/ different/ strong female characters.

If any one has any suggestions I would love to hear them! Smile

I believe one of the difficulties, surely is defining Gothic. I define Jane Eyre as a Gothic novel but Jane is neither weak, defenceless nor naive. She is remarkably independent and whilst not sophisticated or worldly she's not naive. She is certainly a strong/interesting heroine. Modern novels may contain Gothic elements but 'twould be difficult to categorise any as truly Gothic. Check out Kate Morton's books and also Rebecca James's recently relesased 2nd novel "Sweet Damage" for some contemporary takes on Gothic.

RE: Contemporary Gothic heroines - any suggestions? - RareMale - 05-07-2013

How are you defining "contemporary"? After the year 2000? In Gothic romances of the 1970s it was common for the heroine to be innocent, weak, defenceless, naive, and somewhat stupid, Smile Many people reading them now find it annoying, and use the acronym TSTL (Too Stupid To Live) for this type of heroine.

RE: Contemporary Gothic heroines - any suggestions? - GothicRomance - 05-22-2015

A bit off-topic, but I would like to see a positive heroine who is a grown-up.